Asteroid is an graphical dev tool for making augmented reality interactions.
It helps you create ARKit apps that understand and react to the environment around them, by combining game engine features with support for computer vision and CoreML.
Asteroid has a number of basic visual objects to add to a 3D scene:
- Mesh - a 3D object from an imported mesh file
- Light - custom illumination for the 3D scene
- 3D text - a 3D representation of text
- Animation - a 2D representation of an AfterEffects animation
Asteroid has some objects to handle
- CameraInput - object for accessing the video frames from your iPhone or Mac camera. Can also be used with saved video files.
- Tracker - attach this to a camera input object to track faces or planes.
- MicrophoneInput - object for accessing audio data from your iPhone or Mac's microphone
Asteroid has functionality to handle the programmable aspects of creating an AR app:
- Machine Learning - an object that provides support for CoreML models, with visual access to it's inputs and outputs
- Logic - an object that allows for logical comparisons between variables, such as "greater than" or "equal to".
A "reaction" is a building block of functionality that notices something happening via an input object, and triggers something happening in 3D. Reactions can be saved & shared, or loaded from the Asteroid Asset Store .
Export to iOS
Asteroid scenes can be exported into Xcode projects, which can be run as ARKit-ready apps on an iOS device.
In the top toolbar, select "File-> Export to iPhone" to export your Asteroid scene into a generated Xcode project.